Choosing Key Stage 4 options
Key Stage 4 Curriculum
‘Students of all abilities and backgrounds make outstanding progress from their individual starting points as they move through the school. Attainment by the end of Year 11 is well above the national average.’ OFSTED October 2014
At Silverdale our vision is :
- Outstanding Achievement For All
To achieve this our Key Stage 4 Curriculum provision will:
- Nurture and celebrate the talents of all members of the School Community
- Aim for all members of the School Community to achieve beyond expectations
- Prepare all members of the School Community for their futures, enabling them to play a positive part in 21 st Century society
- Recognise that everyone is an individual
- Curriculum provision that is broad, balanced, flexible, and responsive to individual need.
- Parity of choice for all abilities as far as possible.
- Access for all students to a suite of nationally approved qualifications
- Curriculum provision that builds on success at Key Stage 3
What Courses are on Offer?
- We encourage as many students as possible to achieve the English Baccalaureate, namely GCSEs graded A*-C in Maths, English, at least two Sciences, (Computer Science counts as one of the Science subjects), a Language and a Humanity, either History or Geography.
- Whatever programme of study is chosen we will support all students in all subjects at all levels in gaining the best grades possible so they can progress onto Sixth Form, College or training.
- We expect all students to make or exceed expected progress in all subjects with the majority doing so in at least 8 subjects at GCSE or equivalent GCSE standard.
- For some students, especially those who aspire to take an applied or vocational learning route, the suite of EBacc subjects may not be appropriate and they will be guided accordingly.
- BTECs allow students to study GCSEs alongside vocational courses enabling students to progress into post-16 education, college or training. BTECs are Level 2 courses equivalent to GCSE and could lead to employment opportunities or progression to Level 3 or ‘A’ Level equivalent courses at Post 16.
- All GCSE exams will be taken at the end of the course. There will only be retake opportunities in November for GCSEs in English and Mathematics.
Please see our Learning For Life Key Stage 4 Options brochure for further details of our Key Stage 4 Curriculum Offer.